Join the Admissions Team
Military Staff Application Information
Selection for Admissions Officers is highly competitive. We generally select two to three Key Developed (KD) Captains to attend a two-year Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) program, with a three-year follow-on assignment to the Directorate of Admissions. Our officers attend high-quality graduate programs to obtain their master’s degree at a school of their choice. As Regional Commanders, our officers recruit the highest quality candidates, perform a variety of professional services, and provide outreach for the Army. An assignment in Admissions is a challenging and rewarding developmental experience.
Currently, there are nine senior captain positions within the admissions office: Far West Regional Commander, Great Lakes Regional Commander, Southwest Regional Commander, Southeast Regional Commander, Northeast Regional Commander, Athlete Admissions Officer/Congressional Liaison, Soldier Admissions Officer, Information Management Officer, and Outreach Admissions. Not all of these positions will be available each year.
If selected, you will attend graduate school followed by a three-year assignment at West Point. Only branch-qualified officers will be considered for ACS and a follow-on assignment to USMA. We are committed to ensuring that our officers depart USMA with adequate time for an O-4 KD assignment prior to consideration for promotion to Lieutenant Colonel in the primary zone.
New Applicants: New to application process? Go to W.E.S.T. to get started.
Existing Applicants: If you have already started an application, review the file that you've already started. You will need the userid and password that was provided when you first submitted your application. Based on your timeline, military experience, and academic performance, we will make an initial decision about whether or not to accept you as a faculty candidate. Once you are accepted, you will be provided with userID and password to complete your file. Items needed to be considered are listed below: It is not necessary for you to provide all of this information all at once. You may upload new information as it becomes available, and you may update your file at any time. Please save your password in a place where you'll be able to find it later.
- Evidence of a strong military record (OERs and AERs). We request that you upload copies of all your OER's and AER's. You can obtain these in electronic form directly from your AKO account.
- Copy of your GRE and/or GMAT scores. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores provide us with an indicator of your potential for success in graduate school. They are also required by HRC for all officers attending advanced civil schooling. If you have not yet taken the GRE, or if your existing GRE scores will be over 5 years old at the time you enter ACS, you should take the exam as soon as possible. The Army minimum standards for the GRE are 500 points on the verbal assessment, 500 points on the quantitative assessment, and 4 in the analytical writing assessment. For GRE information, see http://www.gre.org or consult with your Education Center. You may either upload a scanned copy of your GRE scores directly to your application file, or you may have the scores sent directly to us.
- Statement: 3 Letters of recommendation and Admissions Personnel Summary Sheet. We recommend that you provide three letters of recommendation commenting on your potential to do outstanding graduate work at a top university and be an Admissions Officer. Letters from senior officers for whom you have worked for are useful. In the event you do not have a Command OER in time for our selection board, we recommend that you get a letter from your senior rater assessing your performance in your branch-qualifying job. Additionally, upload the Admissions Personnel Summary Sheet into the “statement” column. This document also contains your job preference list and candidate essay. Please upload all three letters of recommendation and personnel summary sheet into the “statement” column on the W.E.S.T. System.
- Copy of your most recent Officer Records Brief (ORB). This can be downloaded from AKO.
- An informal photograph. Please send us a personal photo. Not your official DA photo (which should be uploaded to your ORB).
- Your best estimate of your availability date to begin graduate school. This is dictated by your anticipated branch qualification and the timing of future PCS and school assignments. If you have not already done so, please alert your branch manager that you are interested in competing for an assignment at West Point.
It is not necessary for you to provide all of this information all at once. You may upload new information as it becomes available, and you may update your file at any time. Please save your password in a place where you'll be able to find it later.
If you wish to be considered for graduate school starting in 2021, your application file should be complete by 1 December 2019. This will allow us time to review your files for completeness prior to our selection board in mid-January 2020. The selection board consists of all the department’s senior staff members. The final decision on all selections is made by the Director of Admissions. Please use the following as our mailing address:
Directorate of Admissions
ATTN: Personnel Officer
United States Military Academy
606 Thayer Road
West Point, NY 10996
The Directorate of Admissions’ fax number is (845) 938-8121.
If you have any further questions, please contact CPT Kenny Pyles at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We appreciate your interest in joining the West Point Admissions Team.